Friday, November 13, 2009

H1N1 vaccinated

as an OT student, i'm part of the health care worker/professional group of individuals that are considered high risk for h1n1 so i got my vaccination shot today (read: i was poked in the arm with a needle loaded with the virus.)

actually, the shot itself didn't hurt at all (the nurse was great!), but so far the aftermath has been less than pleasant. about 15 minutes after my shot, my arm got a little itchy and then the soreness started to set in. i got it around 3:45pm this afternoon and since then my arm has progressively gotten sorer and sorer. it hurts to extend, flex, adduct, and abduct - basically, it hurts to move my left arm in general. ughh.

the nurse warned me of the arm pain so i suppose it was to be expected, but still...boo. she advised me to ice it during the night to help with the pain, but i'm not sure if going to sleep with an ice pack (read: bag of frozen peas) on my sore arm only to wake up with a bag of defrosted peas in a puddle of water on my bed is the best way to go about things tonight. plus that would be uncomfortable. and cold.

oh well, i'm just gonna suck it up and go with it. let's just hope my body holds up for the next ten days (the approximate time it takes the vaccine to kick in) and doesn't get sick. otherwise the vaccination would have just been counterproductive and all the soreness would have been for nothing. :P

0 comments: