Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday: Remember...


...and be thankful.

last night as i was waiting for my eyes to close until the morning, i remember my heart feeling heavy with a sense of anxiousness, impatience, and frustration at my lack of control in this whole situation. since i could feel that i was still minutes away from drifting off to sleep, i decided to take the time to cry out for patience and a sense of peace despite everything when suddenly the thought "Not my will, but Yours" came to mind. i immediate became very aware of the fact that on the same very night (at least symbolically) 2008 years ago, Someone Else cried the same words out into the stillness of the night, distraught, broken, and pleading, with the weight of the world on His shoulders - literally.

at that moment the verses recited at every communion came flooding into my mind and the depth of those words, the graveness of His situation, and the realness of it all, truly pierced me. my heart instantly felt so much lighter as i was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude and peace, and enveloped in His love as i drifted off into sleep.

He stayed awake that night so I could sleep.
He gave His life so i could live.

Amazing Grace, indeed.